JetBrains Plugin Marketplace Approval Guidelines
Version 1.0, effective as of June 24, 2019
The capitalized terms used in this document have the same meaning as those defined in the JetBrains Plugin Marketplace Developer Agreement.
To ensure the high quality and reliability of Plugins for JetBrains Products, as well as the security of JetBrains products, every new Plugin and all new Plugin versions (also known as updates), are subject to a verification and approval process which is performed by JetBrains employees.
All new Plugins and subsequent updates are normally reviewed within two business days, but JetBrains does not guarantee any SLAs for the review process as sometimes it can take longer owing to various factors. Each Plugin or Plugin update must be approved by JetBrains before it becomes publicly available on JetBrains Marketplace.
Plugin Developer will receive a notification as soon as the status of the review changes, or if there are any questions regarding the Plugin or Plugin update approval.
JetBrains reserves the right to repeat the review of Plugins and Plugin updates from time to time and un-approve a Plugin or Plugin update if new information on their conformity with the approval criteria comes to JetBrains' attention after such review.
Plugin Approval Criteria
All Plugins for JetBrains products must meet the following general approval criteria:
- Plugin functions "as described" on the Plugin page on JetBrains Marketplace and its name and description clearly identify what it is designed to do.
- Plugin Content satisfies the following conditions:
- Plugin name is present and different from the default value;
- Plugin name does not include the word "plugin";
- Vendor's website is valid and can be accessed;
- Vendor's email address is valid;
- Description and change notes are present and changed from the default values;
- Description in English is present;
- Description in English is the first one presented and provided in the Description field (not in the General Instructions).
- Plugin marketing assets do not infringe on JetBrains trademarks (see JetBrains Trademarks Usage Guidelines for more information).
- Plugin marketing assets do not infringe on any third-party trademarks.
- Plugin or its marketing assets do not infringe on any copyrights.
- Plugin has at least one compatible product.
- Plugin can be installed on top of the defined compatible products and compatible versions of the products.
- Plugin does not introduce any security vulnerabilities or privacy issues to JetBrains products or services.
- Plugin does not significantly negatively affect the performance of JetBrains products.
- In case of transfer of any statistics and/or telemetric data, the Plugin asks for explicit permission from the user.
- Plugin does not transfer statistics and/or telemetric data when the Plugin is not being used by the user.
- Plugin metadata and marketing assets do not include any content for additional promotion that would give it an unfair advantage or cause malfunctioning of JetBrains Marketplace (such as trying to manipulate search adding irrelevant keywords, breaking HTML formatting of the page, etc.).
- Plugin Developer accepts the Marketplace Developer Agreement before submitting Plugin.
JetBrains may establish additional criteria on a case-by-case basis. JetBrains reserves the right to remove any Plugin from JetBrains Marketplace at any time in its sole discretion.
Approval Criteria for Features Implemented by Plugins
JetBrains Marketplace uses a Feature Extractor (aka intellij-feature-extractor) to determine additional features supported by the Plugin. Based on the features determined, the Plugin is advertised in JetBrains products and services:
The features are specified in the Plugin classes using the IntelliJ Platform API. Features may belong to the following categories:
- Configuration types
- Facet types
- File extensions
- Artifact types
- Module type
Features implemented by the Plugin are subject to review and approval by JetBrains, and must conform to the following criteria:
- Plugin does not implement features which are not related to its major functionality; and
- Plugin does not implement any malicious features or features for additional promotion that would give it an unfair advantage.
JetBrains may establish additional criteria on a case-by-case basis.
Should you have any questions about the approval process, please email us at email@example.com.