Navigating with Bookmarks
The editor of IntelliJ IDEA provides two types of bookmarks:
- Anonymous bookmarks, indicated by check signs in the left gutter. The number of anonymous bookmarks is unlimited.
- Bookmarks with mnemonics indicated by or icons in the left gutter. There can be only 10 numbered and 26 lettered bookmarks within a project.
All bookmarks are indicated with the black streaks in the marker bar:
Once created, the bookmarks enable you to easily jump to the desired location within a file, or across the entire project.
To navigate through the bookmarks within the current file, do one of the following
- On the main menu, choose Bookmarks dialog. . The order of visiting bookmarks depends on their order in the collection of bookmarks in the
- Click the black streak in the marker bar.
To navigate across a project using numbered bookmarks
- Use Ctrl+Number where the <number> corresponds to the desired bookmark.
To navigate among all bookmarks in a project, do one of the following
- On the main menu, choose
In the Bookmarks dialog, select the target bookmark, and press Enter.
For your convenience, the target code preview is shown in the right pane of the dialog box.
, or press Shift+F11.
- In the Favorites tool window, select the desired bookmark in the Bookmarks list, and then double-click the bookmark entry, or press F4. The corresponding file opens in the editor, with the caret at the beginning of the bookmarked line.