- Download and install the Node.js framework. The CSS minifier is started through Node.js and the Node Package Manager (npm) is also the easiest way to download the minifier. For details on using Node.js in PhpStorm, see the section Node.Js
- Switch to the directory where the Node Package Manager (npm) is stored or define a path variable for it so it is available from any folder.
Type the following command at the command line prompt:
npm install yui
If you use the Node Package Manager (npm), the minifier is installed under Node.js so Node.js, which is required for starting the tool, will be specified in the path to it.
PhpStorm provides a common procedure and user interface for creating File Watchers of all types. The only difference is in the predefined templates you choose in each case.
- To start creating a File Watcher, open the Project Settings and click File Watchers. The File Watchers page that opens, shows the list of File Watchers that are already configured in the project.
- Click the Add button or press Alt+InsertAlt+Insert and choose the YUI Compressor CSS predefined template from the pop-up list.
- In the Program text box, specify the path to the yuicompressor-<version>.jar file. If you installed the tool through the Node Package Manager, PhpStorm locates the required file itself and fills in the field automatically. Otherwise, type the path manually or click the Browse button and choose the file location in the dialog box that opens.
- Proceed as described on page Using File Watchers.
Minifying the code
PhpStorm creates a separate file with the generated output. The file has the name of the source CSS file and the extension min.css. The location of the generated file is defined in the Output Paths text box of the New Watcher dialog. However, in the Project Tree, it is shown under the source CSS file which is now displayed as a node.