Download and install the Node.js framework. The framework is required for two reasons:
- The Node Package Manager (npm), which is a part of the framework, is also the easiest way to download the minifier.
For details on using Node.js in PhpStorm, see the section Node.js
Make sure the following paths are added to the PATH variable:
- The path to the parent folder of the Node.js executable file.
- The path to the Node Package Manager folder (npm).
Install and enable the NodeJS repository plugin.
The plugin is not bundled with PhpStorm, but it is available from the PhpStorm plugin repository. Once enabled, the plugin is available at the IDE level, that is, you can use it in all your PhpStorm projects.
- Make sure the File Watchers plugin is enabled. The plugin is bundled with PhpStorm and activated by default. If it is not, enable the plugin.
- Switch to the directory where the Node Package Manager (npm) is stored or define a path variable for it so it is available from any folder.
Depending on the tool you want to use, type one of the following commands at the command line prompt:
To have the Closure Compiler installed, type:
npm install closure
Alternatively, download the compiled tool at https://github.com/benvanik/google-closure-compiler-bin.
To have the YUI Compressor JS installed, type:
npm install yuicompressor
To have the UglifyJS installed, type:
npm install uglify-js
- To have the Closure Compiler installed, type:
If you use the Node Package Manager (npm), the tools are installed under Node.js so Node.js, which is required for starting the tool, will be specified in the path to it.
PhpStorm provides a common procedure and user interface for creating File Watchers of all types. The only difference is in the predefined templates you choose in each case.
- To start creating a File Watcher, open the Project Settings and click File Watchers. The File Watchers page that opens, shows the list of File Watchers that are already configured in the project.
Click the Add button or press Alt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+InsertAlt+Insert or Ctrl+NAlt+InsertCommand N or Control EnterControl N or Control EnterCommand N or Control Enter.
Depending on the tool you are going to use, choose the appropriate predefined template from the pop-up list:
- Closure Compiler
- YUI Compressor JS
In the Program text box, specify the path to the compiler executable file or archive depending on the chosen predefined template:
- compiler.jar for Closure Compiler
- yuicompressor-<version>.jar for YUI Compressor JS
- uglifyjs.cmd for UglifyJS
- Proceed as described on page Using File Watchers.
Minifying the code