In addition to running code inspections from the main menu, or from the context menus of the Project tool window, you can also launch the inspector from the command line, without actually running PhpStorm. This way you can perform regular code inspections as a part of your development process, which is especially important for large projects. Inspection results are stored in the XML format.
On this page:
- Launching a code inspection from the command line
- Viewing the results of an offline inspection
- Specify the following command line arguments:
Path to the launcher: specify the
to one of the following launchers (which reside
directory of your PhpStorm installation):
- For Windows: inspect.bat
- For UNIX and Mac: inspect.sh
- Project file path is the full path to the .idea directory of the project to be inspected.
- Inspection profile path is the full path to the profile, against which the project should be inspected. The inspection profiles are stored under USER_HOME\.PhpStormXX\config\inspection
- Output path is the full path to an existing directory where the report will be stored.
Options. You can specify:
- The directory to be inspected -d <full path to the subdirectory>
- The verbosity level of output -vX, where X is 0 for quiet, 1 for noisy and 2 for extra noisy.
Please note that you have to specify full paths, relative paths are not accepted.
- Path to the launcher: specify the full path to one of the following launchers (which reside under the bin directory of your PhpStorm installation):
C:\Program Files (x86)\JetBrains\<PhpStorm home>\bin\inspect.bat E:\SampleProjects\MetersToInchesConverter E:\Work\MyProject\.idea\inspectionProfiles\Project_Default.xml E:\Work\MyProject\inspection-results-dir -v2 -d E:\SampleProjects\MetersToInchesConverter\subdirectory
/Applications/PhpStorm.app/bin/inspect.sh ~/IdeaProjects/MyTestProject ~/Library/Preferences/PhpStorm/inspection/Default.xml ~/IdeaProjects/MyTestProject/results-dir -v2
If you have performed an offline inspection and exported the inspection results to a directory in the XML format you can always download and view these results.
- Open the the project against which the inspection was performed.
- On the main menu, choose .
- In the Select Path dialog box that opens, navigate to the directory that contains inspection results in XML format.
- Click OK. Inspection results display in the Offline View tab in the Inspection tool window.
Alternatively, you can open the relevant XML file in PhpStorm or in any other text processor without opening the inspected project.