In this section:
PyCharm allows you to work with several projects simultaneously. So doing, PyCharm suggests the following options:
- Each project is opened in its own window. The projects are independent, and cannot share information, except for the Clipboard operations. All the projects run in the same instance of PyCharm and use the same memory space.
- A newly opened project shares the same window as the already opened one. So doing, the project that has
already been opened, is considered the primary project, and is always shown first in the
Project tool window. All the other projects are added to the primary project.
Symbols from the added projects are visible from the primary one, but not vice versa.
Make sure that one of the options Open project in a new window or Confirm window to open project in in the System Settings page of the Settings dialog is selected.
Opening multiple projects
Open a project, while another one is already opened. PyCharm
prompts you to select whether you want to open the project in a new window, or reuse the existing window.
- Do one of the following:
- Click Open in new window button to leave the current project in its window and open the new one in a separate window.
- Click Open in current window, and select the check box Add to currently opened projects.
The new project opens in the project tree, and adds to the currently opened project. So doing, the project that has already been opened, is the primary project.
Clicking Open in current window without selecting the check box Add to currently opened projects results in closing the current project and opening the new one in the same window.
Deleting a project from view
If you want to close a project that has been added to the currently opened one (primary project), follow these steps:
- In the Project tool window, right-click the project to be deleted.
- On the context menu of the selection, choose DeleteDeleteDeleteDeleteDelete or Ctrl+DDeleteDeleteDeleteDelete, Backspace or Command BackspaceDelete, Backspace or Command BackspaceDelete, Backspace or Command Backspace: , or just press
- When reopening, PyCharm suggests to reopen the whole group of projects.
- The check box Add to currently opened projects appears when you open a new project in a window, where another project is already opened.