Everything you do in PyCharm, is done within the context of a project. A project represents a complete software solution, and defines project-wide settings.
On this page:
Such project directory contains a .idea directory, with the following files:
- *.iml file that describes the project structure.
- workspace.xml that contains your workspace preferences.
- A number of .xml files. Each .xml file is responsible for its own set of settings, that can be recognized by its name:
projectCodeStyle.xml, encodings.xml, vcs.xml etc.
Thus, for example, adding a new run/debug configuration and changing encoding will affect different .xml files. This helps avoid merge conflicts when the project settings are stored in a version control system and modified by the different team members.
All the settings files in the .idea directory should be put under version control except the workspace.xml, which stores your local preferences. The workspace.xml file should be marked as ignored by VCS.
.idea directory is not visible in the Project view.
PyCharm suggests the following types of projects:
Empty project is intended for pure Python programming. The directory structure of
such project contains the .idea directory for the
PyCharm-specific settings and the project file, and libraries.
Create a plain Python project as described in the section Creating Empty Project.
Python must be installed on your machine.
Create a Django application as described in the section Creating Django Project.
- Python must be installed on your machine.
- Working with Django applications requires a database. Using SQLite is preferred, since it is pre-configured. If you are using a different database engine, make sure it is installed and configured properly.
Create project as described in the section Creating Google App Engine Project.
Create project as described in the section Creating Flask Project.
Web2Py project. This project type provides specific infrastructure of
a Web2Py application, and all the necessary files and settings.
Create project as described in the section Creating Web2Py Project.
Create project as described in the section Creating Pyramid Project.
Twitter Bootstrap, and
For the client-side applications, PyCharm creates specific infrastructure, with the required files and directories.
Create project as described in the section Creating Projects from Scratch in PyCharm.