Using Suggestion List
Any code completion or live template operation ends up with a suggestion list, from which you have to select the desired option. WebStorm provides handy ways to make your selection, complete the source code, sort entries, and view reference information without leaving the suggestion list.
In this section, you will learn:
To navigate though the suggestion list and completed expression
To complete selection
- Use Enter to insert the selected string at the insertion point.
- Use Tab to replace the string next to the caret with the selected one.
- Use Ctrl+Shift+Enter to make the current code construct syntactically correct (balance parentheses, add missing braces and semicolons, etc.)
- It is possible to enter the desired element name manually when the input position is highlighted and
the list of suggestions is open. As you type, the suggestion list shrinks so that only matching
element names remain:
If you enter a name that is not used in the scope, WebStorm will inform you with a pop-up window as shown in the figure below:
It is possible to type any part of a word,
even the characters located somewhere in the middle of the word:
That's why asterisk character doesn't get any special processing as a wildcard.
Please note the following:
- If, invoking an action, you don’t get what you want immediately, invoke this action again by pressing the same shortcut.
- Most suitable variants in the suggestion list are displayed on the green background on top of the list.
- Entries in bold font on top of the list denote symbols defined in the current class. All the other symbols are shown below.
To view reference information in the suggestion list
- Use the Quick Definition View. If you select an entry in a list and press Ctrl+Shift+I, WebStorm displays the following quick information pop-up window:
- Quick Information View works in a suggestion list. If you select an entry in a list, and press Ctrl+Q, WebStorm displays the following quick information pop-up window:
To sort entries in the suggestion list
- Click or in the lower-right corner of the list to toggle between sorting in alphabetical order, or by relevance.
Please note the following:
- The sorting icon appears in the list if it is long enough. For few entries only sorting icon is not displayed.
- Use mouse only to click this icon.
- WebStorm memorizes the type of sorting.
- Default behavior is defined in the Code Completion page of the Editor settings.
To view hierarchy in the completion pop-up
To close the suggestion list
- Close the suggestion list with Escape, then enter your own code at the code completion position.