Opening, Reopening and Closing Projects
CLion lets you open several projects simultaneously in different windows. By default, each time you open a project while another one is opened, CLion prompts you to choose whether to open the project in the same window or in a new window. If necessary, you can change this behavior using controls on the System Settings page.
In the Project Opening section of the System Settings page, choose one of the following options:
- Open project in a new window to open a new CLion window each time a new project is opened.
- Open project in the same window to stay in the same CLion window.
- Confirm window to open project in to keep the default behavior and display a dialog box to choose how to open each new project.
This operation refers both to the projects created in CLion, and the projects from existing sources.
To open a project
- Click Open on the Welcome screen or on the main menu.
- In the Select Path dialog box, select the directory that contains the project to open.
Note that if you open a CMake project, it must contain a CMakeList.txt file. Otherwise, the project will open but no coding assistance (i.e. code completion, navigation, intention actions etc.) will be available.
- Specify whether you want to open the project in a new frame, or close the current project and reuse the existing frame.
To open a project from the command line
- At the command prompt, type:
CLion <path_to_the_project folder>
Reopening recent projects
CLion keeps the history list of the recent projects, from which you can select the desired one.
To reopen a recent project
- Click on the menu and select the desired project from the list.. Specify whether you want to open the project in a new frame, or reuse the current frame.
- On the Welcome screen, click the project of interest in the left-hand pane where the list of your recent projects is shown. Start typing in the Welcome screen to filter the list of recent projects.
To remove recent projects
- To remove all projects from the list of recent projects, click on the menu, and then click .
- Select project in the list on the Welcome screen, press Delete on your keyboard, and confirm deletion in the Remove Recent Project dialog box that opens.
When the only open project is closed, the Welcome screen is displayed. In case of multiple projects, each one is closed with its frame.
- On the main menu, Click on the menu.