Working with Coverage Results
No matter what type of coverage analysis you perform, coverage of unit tests, coverage of an application, or coverage of tests on server side, dotCover saves the results in a coverage snapshot. You can then further investigate these results using one of the following ways:
- Coverage Results Browser window (available in both Visual Studio and dotCover standalone application) - this tool window allows opening coverage snapshots recorded during application coverage run or saved in a file.
If the current snapshot contains assemblies that correspond to the current solution, you can navigate to source code of any item within the snapshot by double-clicking on it.
- Unit Test Coverage window (available only in Visual Studio) - this tool window displays coverage tree and synchronizes it with unit tests from Unit Test Sessions window.
- You can quickly view coverage results for the currently opened file by simply looking at the "shield" icon on the ReSharper marker bar:
- Depending on the results, the icon will look differently: all statements covered, statements are partly covered, statements are partly covered but some tests fail, and so on.
- The icon shows the same results that are currently shown in the Unit Test Coverage window.
The ways of exploring and studying coverage results include:
- Visualizing Code Coverage right in the editor according to the coverage results.
- Detecting Hot Spots to quickly find potential risk areas.
- Navigating to Covering Tests that cover a particular statement in your code.
- Locating Code Items in Coverage Tree (types, methods, etc.) to see how well they are covered in the current snapshot.
- Searching Coverage Tree to quickly find code items in the coverage tree.
- Saving and Opening Coverage Snapshot to return to the analyzed results later or to share the results.
- Excluding Nodes from Coverage Snapshot to recalculate coverage statistics.
- Viewing Coverage of Unit Tests to recalculate the total coverage.
- Matching Coverage Snapshot with Project Structure that makes navigation within a snapshot more comfortable.
- Exporting Coverage Results into reports in one of the following formats: HTML, XML, JSON, and XML for NDepend.