GoLand integrates with the YUI Compressor CSS minification tool. The term minification or compression means removing all unnecessary characters, such as spaces, new lines, comments without changing the functionality of the source code. At the development and debugging stage, these characters improve the code readability. However at the production stage, they become unnecessary for code execution but only increase the size of code to be transferred.
Before you start
Installing and configuring the YUI Compressor
- Open the embedded Terminal ( or Alt+F12), and type
npm install yuicompressorat the command prompt.
Compressing the CSS code
To compress your code on the fly, you need to configure the compressor as a GoLand File Watcher.
To create a File Watcher
- In the Settings/Preferences dialog (Ctrl+Alt+S), and then click File Watchers under Tools. The File Watchers page that opens, shows the list of File Watchers that are already configured in the project.
- Click the or press Alt+Insert and choose the YUI Compressor CSS predefined template from the list.
- In the Program text box, specify the path to the
yuicompressor-<version>.jarfile. If you installed the tool through the Node Package Manager, GoLand locates the required file itself and fills in the field automatically. Otherwise, type the path manually or click and choose the file location in the dialog box that opens.
- Proceed as described on page Using File Watchers.
Minifying the code
GoLand creates a separate file with the generated output. The file has the name of the source CSS file and the extension
min.css. The location of the generated file is defined in the Output paths to refresh text box of the New Watcher dialog. However, in the Project Tree, by default it is shown under the source CSS file which is now displayed as a node. To change the default presentation, configure file nesting in the Project tool window.