Manage the Project Team
The project profile page displays a list of users who are members of the project team. Membership in the project team grants users the Developer role in the project. The project team is designed to represent a collection of users who actually work together on a project. The project team does not include other users, like administrators or supervisors, who have access to the project but do not take part in day-to-day development efforts.
What is a Project Team?
The project team is a collection of users and groups who are assigned to a specific project. Each user has access to the resources that are connected to the project. The level of access is determined by the permissions that are assigned to the Developer role.
The project team also includes the project owner. The project owner inherits the Developer role as a member of the project team. This user is also assigned the Project Admin role directly in the project.
- Users and members of groups who are granted roles in the Global project.
- Users and members of groups who are granted roles in the project, but were not added to the project team.
Add Users to the Project Team
You can add users to the project team directly on the project profile page.
To add users to the team, you must also have access to all of the permissions that are granted to the Developer role. The easiest way to meet this requirement is when the Developer role is also assigned to your user account.
For a list of the permissions that are assigned to the Developer role by default, see Default Roles.
To add users to the project team:
When you have added all of the users that you want to include in the project team, you can fine-tune the settings for your project.
Add Groups to the Project Team
There are two advantages to using groups to add its members to a project team:
- You can add multiple users to your project at once.
- By using a group to manage membership, new users who are added to the group are automatically added to all of the project teams that include the group. Conversely, removing a user from a group removes the user from all project teams that include the group.
There is, however, a limitation. You cannot exclude single group members from the project team. If the group contains any members that you want to exclude from the project, you should either create a new group that contains the desired subset of users or add group members to the project team as single users.
To add groups to the project team:
- On the project profile page, click the Add user or group button.
- From the drop-down list, select a group.
Remove Users from the Project Team
Removing users from the project team can be tricky. Each member of the project team can have access to a project directly, indirectly, or both. You can only remove users from the project team when they were added to the project directly. Otherwise, you must either remove the user from any group that has been added to the project or remove the groups from the project team.
To remove a user from the group:
If the user still appears in the project team, you have two options. You can:
- Remove the user from any groups that have been added to the project.
- Remove any groups that include this user as a member from the project. This action removes all members of the selected groups from the project team.
Remove Groups from the Project Team
If a group of users does not require access to your project, you can remove the whole group from the project team. This situation arises when you add a large group, like the All Users group, that contains some users who should have access to your project, but also contains users who should not have access. You can also have organizational changes where the members of a group are no longer assigned to your project.
You may also want to remove a group from the project team to disable the feature that adds new members to the project team or removes users from the project team automatically when they are removed from the group.