Managing Tasks and Context
In this section:
- Managing Tasks and Context
- Enabling Integration with an Issue Tracking System
- Opening and Creating Tasks
- Deleting Tasks
- Switching Between Tasks
- Viewing Description of a Task
- Saving and Clearing Contexts
- Switching Between Contexts
- Tutorial: Configuring Generic Task Server
IntelliJ IDEA provides facilities to set up your workflow according to the issue tracking procedure accepted in your team.
You can bind your account in an issue tracker to your project, and work on it in the discourse of tasks and contexts.
- A task is an activity performed in IntelliJ IDEA. Each task is identified
by a task name.
Normally, a task correlates with an issue in your issue tracking system. This correlation is set by using the desired issue ID as the task name. When you switch between tasks, IntelliJ IDEA cleans your workspace, creates a changelist for the task, and loads a stack trace, if any.
Alternatively, you can define a task yourself so it reflects an activity that is not registered in your issue tracker.
Tasks are listed in the drop-down list on the toolbar. This drop-down list is available only when you have at least one opened issue from the tracker or a self-defined task. A tracker issue has the light-violet background colour until it is opened in IntelliJ IDEA. After a tracker issue is opened in IntelliJ IDEA its background colour changes to white. Self-defined tasks always have the white background colour.
- A context is a set of files opened in the editor while working on a task or independently from it. You can switch between contexts by switching between tasks associated with them. Alternatively, you can save and clear contexts independently from any tasks.
Before you start working with tasks and contexts, make sure that the Task Management plugin is enabled. The plugin is bundled with IntelliJ IDEA and is activated by default. If it is not, enable the plugin as described in Enabling and Disabling Plugins.
Supported issue tracking systems
Currently IntelliJ IDEA supports integration with the following issue tracking systems: