Attaching to Local Process
On this page:
Attach to local process feature allows you to debug a project which you are developing in IntelliJ IDEA, but (for some reasons) are not able to launch directly from your IDE.
Attaching to local process
To attach to a local process, follow these general steps:
- Launch the process intended for debugging. You can do it from operating system or using the IntelliJ IDEA terminal.
- To find the process to attach to, do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose :
- On the main menu, choose or press Ctrl+Shift+A. In the list of actions that appears, find the desired action by typing the first letters, and select it:
- From the list of available processes that appears, select the desired process. Simplify your search by typing the first letters of its name or PID
- Proceed with debugging the same way as you usually do it in IntelliJ IDEA (set breakpoints, step through, pause and resume the process, evaluate expressions etc.)
- When finished, detach the process: select the Stop the process button of the Debug Tool Window. or click the
Last modified: 12 January 2018