Identifying and Narrowing an Area of Interest
It is often difficult to discover which part of your application causes performance problems and choose the right period for profiling. In addition, there may be other activities running in your application in the background during profiling. As a result, you have to work with a large scope of information. In cases like this, it is very useful to narrow the scope of snapshot to be analyzed. dotTrace helps you a lot in finding bottlenecks and focusing on them.
Using dotTrace, you can:
- Open a function call in a new tab, focusing on the function and its activities.
- Use colors to draw attention to certain function calls and hide function calls that you don't need to optimize.
- Fold recursive calls to efficiently analyze performance of recursive algorithms.
- Fold filtered calls, enabling you to hide parts of your snapshot that you don't want to analyze.
- Fold calls with a small impact to hide functions that consume little time.
- Hide functions that consume zero time and do not influence execution time.