Generating Reference Documentation
PyCharm helps produce the formatted API documentation, using the following documentation generators:
Mind the following:
- The documentation generators should be properly installed on your machine. Refer to their respective download and installation pages for details.
- PyCharm recognizes the docstring format and uses the documentation source directory defined in the Python Integrated Tools page of the Settings dialog.
Generating Reference Documentation Using DocUtils
To generate docutils documentation
Generating Reference Documentation Using Sphinx
To create initial infrastructure for Sphinx documentation
- Ensure that the Sphinx package has been installed with the project interpreter (Installing, Uninstalling and Upgrading Packages for more information about how to install a package in PyCharm. | | ). Refer to
- On the main menu, choose .
- If the Sphinx working directory is not specified in the Python Integrated Tools page, the Set working directory dialog box opens, suggesting to specify the path to the documentation.
- In the console that opens in PyCharm, answer the questions provided by the sphinx-quickstart utility. In particular, specify the source directory, where the generated
conf.pyfile will be stored. If, answering this question, you just press Enter, PyCharm will use either the path you've specified in the previous step, or the path specified in the Sphinx working directory field of the Python Integrated Tools page.
To generate Sphinx documentation
Last modified: 17 September 2018