Opening, Reopening and Closing Projects
On this page:
WebStorm allows opening several projects simultaneously in different windows. By default, each time you open a project while another one is opened, WebStorm prompts you to choose whether to open the project in the same window or in a new window. If necessary, you can change this behavior using controls on the System Settings page.
In the Project Opening section of the System Settings page, choose one of the following options:
- Open project in a new window to open a new WebStorm window each time a new project is opened.
- Open project in the same window to stay in the same WebStorm window.
- Confirm window to open project in to keep the default behavior and display a dialog box to choose how to open each new project.
Opening an existing project
To open an existing project
Do one of the following:
- On the Welcome screen, click Open.
- On the main menu, choose .
- In the Select Path dialog box, select the directory that contains the desired project.
- Specify whether you want to open the project in a new frame, or close the current project and reuse the existing frame. Refer to the section Opening Multiple Projects for details.
Reopening a recent project
WebStorm keeps the history list of the recent projects, from which you can select the desired one.
To reopen a recent project
You can also:
- Reopen a recent project from the Welcome screen. To do that, click the project of interest in the left-hand pane where the list of your recent projects is shown. Start typing in the Welcome screen to filter the list of recent projects.
- Terminate the project opening process, without waiting when it finishes loading, by clicking Cancel in the progress window.
- Open projects and individual files from the command line, by specifying the project or file name as a command line argument.
- Remove all projects from the list of recent projects .
- Delete a certain recent project on the Welcome screen.
Closing a project
When the only open project is closed, the Welcome screen is displayed. In case of multiple projects, each one is closed with its frame.