- Do one of the following:
- On the main menu, choose .
- Press Ctrl+Shift+SpaceCommand Shift Space
SmartType code completion automatically highlights selection in the suggestion list that seems most suitable for the current context. Such results display on a darker green background.
For example, consider smart type code completion after the new keyword in Java:9.0+
or in Groovy:
As you type, the suggestion list reduces to show matching entries only.
- If necessary, press Ctrl+Shift+SpaceCommand Shift Space once more.
Thus you can complete, for example:
- Chained expressions.
- Collections, lists and arrays. IntelliJ IDEA searches for the symbols with the same component type and suggest to convert them.
- 12.0+Static method calls or constant references. IntelliJ IDEA scans for the static methods and fields, but suggests only the ones with the type suitable in the current context.