PyCharm helps produce the formatted API documentation, using the following documentation generators:
- The documentation generators should be properly installed on your machine. Refer to their respective download and installation pages for details.
- PyCharm recognizes the docstring format and uses the documentation source directory defined in the Python Integrated Tools page of the Settings dialog.
Generating Reference Documentation Using DocUtils
Generating Reference Documentation Using Sphinx
- On the main menu, choose .
- If the Sphinx working directory is not specified in the Python Integrated Tools page,
the Set working directory dialog box opens, suggesting you to specify the path to the documentation.
If the Sphinx working directory is specified in your project, this dialog will not appear.
- In the console that opens in PyCharm, answer the questions provided by the sphinx-quickstart utility. In particular, specify the source directory, where the generated conf.py file will be stored. If, answering this question, you just press EnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnterEnter, PyCharm will use either the path you've specified in the previous step, or the path specified in the Sphinx working directory field of the Python Integrated Tools page.
The sphinx-quickstart utility is performed only once for a particular directory. If you want to generate the Sphinx infrastructure in a different directory, specify it in the Sphinx working directory field of the Python Integrated Tools page.