Requirements for IntelliJ IDEA
On this page:
- 1 GB RAM minimum, 2 GB RAM recommended
- 300 MB hard disk space + at least 1 GB for caches
- 1024x768 minimum screen resolution
JRE 1.8 is bundled with distributions for all platforms. You don't need any Java to be installed on
your machine in order to run IntelliJ IDEA.
JDK is not required for developing Web, PHP, Ruby or Python projects in IntelliJ IDEA.
The standalone JDK installation is required for Java development only.
However, you CANNOT use our bundled JRE for Java development.
- Download IntelliJ IDEA from the
- Run the
ideaIC or ideaIU-*.exe file that starts the Installation Wizard.
- Follow all steps suggested by the wizard. Pay special attention to the corresponding
|System Requirements ||Installation|
- Download the
ideaIC or ideaIU-*.dmg OS X Disk Image file from the
- Double-click the downloaded
ideaIC or ideaIU-*.dmg OS X Disk Image file to mount it.
- Copy IntelliJ IDEA to your Applications folder.
<ideaIC or ideaIU>-*.tar.gz file from the
- Unpack the
<ideaIC or ideaIU>-*.tar.gz file to a different folder, if your current "Download"
folder doesn't support file execution:
tar xfz <ideaIC or ideaIU>-*.tar.gz <new_archive_folder>
The recommended install location according to the filesystem hierarchy standard (FHS) is
/opt. For example, it's possible to enter the following command:
sudo tar xf <ideaIC or ideaIU>-*.tar.gz -C /opt/
- Switch to the
cd <new archive folder>/<ideaIC or ideaIU>-*/bin
cd opt/<ideaIC or ideaIU>-*/bin
idea.sh from the
Last modified: 22 December 2016