IntelliJ IDEA 14: Where your finest code is forged
With a refined UI, editor, built-in developer tools, and enhanced coding assistance across all of the supported frameworks, Java developers are in for more productive and satisfying coding experience than ever before in their favorite IDE
Prague, Czech Republic, November 5, 2014 — JetBrains, the creators of intelligent, productivity-enhancing tools for software developers, have announced the public availability of IntelliJ IDEA 14, a regular yearly update of their award-winning Java IDE for web, enterprise and mobile development.
The latest update of the leading IDE introduces multiple across-the-board enhancements to further speed up everyday programming tasks and streamline developers' workflows. These include:
- A new built-in decompiler for Java classes eliminates the necessity to install any external decompilation tools.
- The debugging of complicated algorithms is made much easier as actual variable values are shown next to their usages, right in the editor.
- The editor, the heart and soul of the IDE, offers even smarter code formatting. It not only autodetects code styles in the currently opened file, but also removes indents and white spaces automatically when the Backspace key is pressed. Multiple Selections have been enhanced to ensure more accurate code completion and handier shortcuts.
- To help developers detect probable bugs that may lead to a NullPointerException on runtime, a new inspection has been added which significantly improves static code analysis. It is capable of automatically inferring @NotNull, @Nullable and @Contract annotations from the bytecode of the libraries added to the project.
IntelliJ IDEA 14 also updates and improves its framework support and integrations with cutting-edge technologies:
- Coding assistance for Thymeleaf template engine is now available.
- JavaFX Scene Builder is now built into the editor so that desktop developers no longer need to switch away from IntelliJ IDEA when editing their layouts.
- The Scala plugin extends refactorings and inspections, improves SBT support and performance, and streamlines project configuration.
"While every major release raises the bar for us, our inspiration and objective is to raise your game," said Maxim Mossienko, IntelliJ IDEA project lead. "From day one we have been committed to providing the best possible tools for developing on the Java Platform. So, as more and more developers are calling IntelliJ IDEA their best place to craft code, we know our work has not been in vain."
IntellIJ IDEA 14 also incorporates new features from Android Studio including support for Android Wear and TV, along with many other enhancements for Android developers added recently by the Google team.
To learn more about what's new in IntelliJ IDEA 14 and to download the edition of your choice, please visit the official IntelliJ IDEA website at www.jetbrains.com/idea/whatsnew.
* * *
JetBrains is a technology-leading software development firm
specializing in the creation of intelligent, productivity-enhancing software.
The company is widely known for its innovative, award-winning Java™ integrated
(see details at www.jetbrains.com/idea),
TeamCity — a continuous integration and build management environment
ReSharper — a productivity tool for .NET developers
(see details at www.jetbrains.com/resharper),
JetBrains maintains its headquarters in Prague, Czech Republic, with its R&D labs located in St. Petersburg and Moscow, Russia; Munich, Germany; and Boston, Massachusetts. For more information, see www.jetbrains.com.
Note to Editors: JetBrains, IntelliJ, IntelliJ IDEA, ReSharper, and TeamCity are trademarks or registered trademarks of JetBrains, s.r.o. All other trademarks are the properties of their respective owners.